If you’ve been using the Tiller Budget template since before May 17, 2018 you may want to consider upgrading your budget to take advantage of the new features we’ve released.
Upgrade steps video below.
A few reasons you might want to upgrade:
- You want to automatically track the unspent budget balance of a category.
- You prefer to use envelope or zero sum budgeting.
- You’re coming from YNAB and like to use their “every dollar has a job” budgeting methodology.
- You want your budgets to be automatically archived for you at the start of each new period. No more manually archiving budgets and you can see your past budgets right in your Budget dashboard.
- You want your budget values to persist period over period on your Budget dashboard. Budget values are no longer static and changing the budget value in one period will not overwrite it for a past or future period.
- You want to set up and track savings goals.
- You want to be able to seamlessly get updates to your budget dashboard. No more migrating to the latest version and easily restore your Dashboard back to its original state if you accidentally break it.
A few reasons you might NOT want to upgrade:
- You’re happy with the existing version of the budget and don’t need or want the new features.
Make a backup first
It's a good idea to created a named version of your sheet before upgrading incase you need or want to revert back later.
NOTE: we won't bring in transactions that were pulled in between the time you created the name version and when you revert. You will need to create a new sheet and manually copy those transactions into the old version.
- Open the File menu at the top of your Google Sheet and choose "Version History" > "Name Current Version"
- Give the current version a name and save it. This is in case you want or need to revert back later.
How to Upgrade Your Budget Template
If you have AutoCat installed, you’re about 80% there. AutoCat has been renamed “Tiller” in your Add-ons menu and you can skip to Step 4 below.
If you’ve never installed AutoCat you can get the new Tiller Add-on by following these steps:
1. Access the Tiller Add-on in the Google Sheets Add-on store here
2. Click “free” in the upper right of the store listing.
3. A blank Google Sheet will open and you’ll see a few dialogs pop up asking for your permission to install the add-on.
4. Open your Tiller budget spreadsheet (or refresh the browser window if it’s already open).
5. From the Google Sheets Add-on menu choose Tiller > Budget > Start. This will update your Budget and do the following:
-Hide your current budget dashboard sheet
-Move your existing budget amounts into the new dashboard for your categories
-Add new columns to your Categories sheet
-Add a hidden Budgets History sheet (distinct from the old Budget History)
-A sidebar will open prompting you to create a budget.
-Create your first budget using the sidebar, which will add a new, improved Budget dashboard sheet to your Tiller spreadsheet. Read more on creating your first budget.
Now you can review these additional resources to start learning about and using what’s new.
- Get to know the new Categories sheet
- Learn all about the new dashboard sheet
- Learn how to use awesome adjustment shortcuts for budgeting
- Learn about important workflows for Tiller’s new budgeting features
- Learn how to set up a zero sum, envelope, or YNAB style budget
- Learn about setting up and tracking savings goals
- Check out our self guided video course