There are a few key simple workflows you’ll want to use to stay on top of your budgeting with Tiller.
This one is key to making sure your budget is accurate. Visit your transactions sheet a few times a week to categorize what's new. Your Budget dashboard will display a message at the top if you have uncategorized transactions.
If you find that you’re overspending in one category you may want to move budgeted money from another category to cover that overspending.
Use the adjust (column M) cell shortcuts to quickly subtract money from one category and add it to another.
For example if you need to move budget money from your restaurants category to your groceries category:
- Type b-50 into the Adjust cell for Restaurants
- Type b+50 into the Adjust cell for Groceries
If you find that you have a transaction come across that you don’t have a category for yet you may need to add a new one to your Categories sheet.
- Add the new category to your Categories sheet being sure to assign at least a group and type.
- Assign a budget amount for the new category on your Budget dashboard.
- If you're using zero sum or envelope budgeting be sure to adjust money from the planned budget for another category to cover this new one and keep your budget in balance.
Note: you may notice it takes several seconds for the new budget amount to appear for a new category. This is normal, pay attention to the progress bar in the top right of your sheet.
Period end workflows
When the period ends there are a few things you’ll want to pay attention to:
- Categorized transactions - did you categorize everything from last period? If not, spend some time in your Transactions sheet categorizing.
- Uncleared transactions - perhaps some transactions haven’t cleared yet, and may end up on your new period’s budget, but should really be allocated to last period. When they do show up you can simply change the date in the date column to have them allocated to the correct period.
- Run Analyze Budgets History - run the Analyze Budgets History option from the Tiller Add-on Budget menu anytime you make edits to the previous period, like categorizing transactions, to get the most accurate picture of your current period’s budget.
Period start workflows
When you’re ready to start planning for the new current period here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Make sure you’ve tidied up the data from the prior period using the Period End steps above.
- Set your new budget amounts for each category using the Adjust cell on the Budget dashboard.
If you’d like to have the Tiller Add-on budgeting features help you automatically proportionally distribute your expected expense budget to your categories read more about the Reallocate Current Period feature.