If you need to move your existing categorized transaction and balance data to a new spreadsheet follow these steps as a guide.
NOTE: the Tiller Labs add-on has an experimental Migration Helper feature that has been lightly tested and is supported in the Tiller Money Community. Use at your own risk. Click here to learn more.
Migrate Your Categories
Make sure you pay attention to the order of the columns. Old versions of the Categories sheet have a different column order than newer sheets.
- Open the Categories sheet in the original spreadsheet.
- Select row 2 by clicking the row number.
- Hold the shift key.
- Scroll down and select the last category row by right clicking the row number.
- Choose copy.
- Open the Categories sheet in the new spreadsheet.
- Select all the category data starting with row two and press the delete key to clear the example category data.
- Right click cell A2 and choose Paste Special > Paste Values Only to paste in your categories list.
Migrate Your Transaction Data
Follow these steps after you have run the first update using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on to pull in your Transactions.
- Make sure that you have the same accounts linked to the two sheets on the Tiller Console.
- Make sure that you pay close attention to the column order between the original Transactions sheet and the new Transactions sheet.
After you've confirmed the column order is consistent (you may need to reorder columns) and checked the same accounts are linked:
- Navigate to the Transactions sheet in the new spreadsheet, click the row number to select row 2. Do not select the header row. Do not select rows for transactions that don't ALSO exist in the original sheet.
- Scroll down to the last transaction in the list, hold down the shift key and then click the last row number.
- Right click the row number and choose to delete the transaction rows. This prevents duplicates.
- Navigate to the Transactions sheet in your original Tiller spreadsheet.
- Click the row number to select the first transaction in the list, starting with row 2 if that’s the first transaction you want to copy over.
- Scroll down to the last transaction you’d like to copy over into the new sheet, hold down the shift key, then click the last row number.
- Right click the row number and choose copy.
- Navigate back to the Transactions sheet in the new spreadsheet and right click row 2, then choose Paste Special > Paste Values Only.
- Double check your categorizations and correct any errors if you’ve renamed any categories.
Migrate Balances for Manual Accounts in Feed Bot Sheets
If you created the sheet you're transitioning FROM BEFORE Aug 26, 2019 (it's a Feed Bot sheet) AND you have saved manual accounts on the right side of the Accounts sheet in your original Tiller spreadsheet follow these steps. If you are trying to move manual balances from one Tiller Money Feeds sheet to another scroll to the bottom and review those steps.
- Re-add the manual accounts to the new sheet using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on. Click here for the steps.
- Use the guidance below to copy/paste the historical data into the new sheet.
Guidance on how to smoothly copy/paste manual entries
- Open the Balance History sheet in your new Tiller-powered Google Sheet. If you don’t see it along the bottom, click the four lines in the lower left corner of the spreadsheet to unhide it.
- Unhide the Account ID column and take note of it's location as well as the order of the columns.
- Open the Balance History sheet in your original spreadsheet. Unhide it if necessary.
- Reorder the columns to match the order of the columns in the new Balance History sheet. You may need to insert a new column in position A and you will need to insert a new column for the Account ID. New Balance History sheets do not have an Index number.
- Select all the data in your Balance History sheet by clicking the square in the upper left corner.
- Turn on the filter to enable the capability to filter all data in the sheet.
- Sort the Balance History sheet by the Index column (it might be a hidden column).
- Copy all entries that have an index number of 9999.
- Open the new spreadsheet and navigate to the Balance History sheet.
- Scroll to the bottom insert your cursor into the first blank cell. Paying attention to column order so everything matches up.
- Right click in that cell.
- Choose Paste Special > Paste Values Only.
- Re-use the unique Account ID for each manually tracked account that was assigned by the Tiller Money Feeds add-on when you added the manual accounts to that sheet (steps above this section).
Migrate Balances for Manual Accounts in Tiller Money Feeds sheets
All Google Sheets created after August 26, 2019 are powered by the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.
- Open the Balance History sheet.
- Turn on the filter for the entire sheet and sort the Balance History sheet by the Account ID column. (this might be a hidden column).
- Copy the balance history data for ONLY manual account. Account IDs that start with manual:
- Carefully paste this data into your new sheet. Be sure the column order is the same between the two sheets.
- After 5 minutes your manual accounts will appear in the dropdown menu in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on under "Manual Accounts" for you to update balances in the new sheet for those accounts.
- Review the FAQ section here for guidance on unhiding the Balance History sheet and turning on the filter.