Note: this is available for Tiller powered Google Sheets only.
In this help article we cover the steps for using the built in Google Sheets IMPORTRANGE formula to use your existing categorized transactions, categories and balance history data across multiple Tiller spreadsheets. These are the quick and easy steps to get it working. You can get a more detailed overview of this topic on our blog here. There is an instructional video that goes through these steps at the bottom of this article.
- Create or choose a "master data sheet" on your Tiller Console. This will be the sheet that Tiller feeds daily. (video example uses Tiller Budget template)
- Create or choose another template to which you'd like to share data from the master data sheet and open it. Be sure to let the transactions populate first if you're creating a new sheet. (video example uses Weekly Expense Tracker)
- Unlink the spreadsheet chosen/created in step 2 from your Tiller Console. It doesn't need the automated data feed.
- Copy the URL for your master data sheet (Tiller Budget template).
- Navigate to the secondary template (Weekly Expense Tracker) and create a new sheet (use the plus sign in the lower left corner) and name it "Config."
- Paste the URL for the master data sheet into cell A1.
- Navigate to the Transactions sheet in the secondary template.
- Delete all the data from the Transactions sheet.
- Paste this formula into cell A1: =IMPORTRANGE(Config!A1, "Transactions!A:L")
- Allow access so the sheet can pull data in from the master data sheet. You should see your transactions pull in at this point.
- Select the Category column, open the data menu, choose "Data Validation" and remove the data validation for the Category column (this is an optional cleanup step).
- Navigate to the Category Setup sheet.
- Delete all the data from the Category Setup sheet.
- Paste this formula into cell A1: =IMPORTRANGE(Config!A1, "Categories!A:E"). You should see your list of categories from the master data sheet pull through at this point.
- Navigate to the Balance History sheet.
- Delete all the data from this sheet.
- Paste this formula into cell A1: =IMPORTRANGE(Config!A1, "Balance History!A:L"). You should see your balance history from your master data sheet pull through at this point.
- Categorize transactions and update your category list from the master data sheet only.
Now you have all the data from your master sheet in this secondary template to use with the reports and charts in the secondary spreadsheet. As Tiller updates the master data sheet each day, this secondary template will also get those updates.
Note: If you've configured any manual accounts in the master data sheet then you'll want to manually add those to the secondary template since they're not currently fed by Tiller's automated feed.