Once you’ve set up your groups and categories, and categorized transactions from last period up to today, it’s time to customize your budget.
- Open the Add-ons menu at the top of the Google Sheet
- Choose Tiller
- Choose Budget
- Choose Create Budget
Note: If you don't see "Tiller" in the add-ons menu, click here to install it by clicking "Free."
You can choose to create a monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly budget.
Customizing Budget Interval, Mode, and Start Day Settings
Creating Monthly Budgets
You can create a monthly budget starting on a specific day of the month or a specific week day of the month (i.e. the first Monday of the month).
- Set the Period to Monthly.
- Choose a mode. Choosing Day will allow you to set the specific numeric day of the month you want the budget to start on. Choosing first, second, third, or fourth will allow you to set a start day as Monday-Sunday (e.g. a monthly budget that starts on the First Monday of the month)
- Choose a start day. Either the day of the month or the day of the week.
Creating Bi-weekly Budgets
You can create a bi-weekly budget that starts on a specific weekday of the month like the second Thursday of the month. Bi-weekly budgets run as two week increments so some months you may have three bi-weekly budget periods that span more than one month (i.e. the start dates begin to drift).
- Set the period to bi-weekly.
- Choose a mode. Choosing first, second, third, or fourth will allow you to set a start day as Monday-Sunday (e.g. a bi-weekly budget that starts on the First Monday of the month.)
- Choose a weekday for the start day.
Creating weekly budgets
You can create a weekly budget that starts on a specific weekday every week.
- Set the period to weekly.
- There are no mode options for weekly budgets.
- Choose a weekday, Sunday through Saturday, for the start day.