Errors can definitely be frustrating, but we're here to help! Most errors fall into one of the following buckets.
- A persistent loading message when trying to add, edit, or refresh accounts
- Error button instead of refresh button on the Console for an institution
- Error during refresh or add accounts process
- Daily or frequent account disconnections due to multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Error types 2 - 3 usually resolve on their own within a week or may require help from our data provider, Yodlee. We cannot do anything to resolve daily or frequent account disconnections due to MFA. Read more about MFA and how the banking industry is changing with regard to 3rd party tools and access to your financial data here.
Read on below for next steps for each error type.
Please also review our guidance on communication with Yodlee if your account error requires us to contact them at the bottom of this help doc.
I see a "loading" message when I try to add, edit, or refresh an account
Close the window where you see the "loading" message by clicking outside of it to return to the Console.
- Try again in a few minutes. Sometimes if you just refreshed or added another account there are processes still running in the background that may need to finish.
- Make sure you have enabled 3rd party cookies for Tiller Money in your browser, then refresh the page. Click here to read more.
- Try a private (incognito) browser session.
- Try a different browser. We recommend Google Chrome with 3rd party cookies enabled for Tiller Money.
- Make sure you're trying from a laptop/computer browser rather than your mobile phone.
If none of the above address the "loading" message when you try to add an account, edit the credentials, or refresh an account reach out to us via chat for more help.
I see an error button on the Console
This indicates there is an error associated with the institution's connection that may be temporary or may require the help of our data provider, Yodlee. We have also noticed this error is sometimes shown when one or more accounts has a different background refresh status than the others and thus it's a "false positive" on the error.
Review the troubleshooting tips below the image for more help.
- Try clicking the "Connection" dropdown and choose "Edit Credentials" next to the account to re-enter your username and password. If you don't get an error during the refresh process, even if the error button persists and last refresh date doesn't update, try updating your spreadsheet after a few moments to see if data was pulled in. If you get a Request Timeout Error during the update process see the steps for that in the next section in this guide on dealing with errors.
- Check our Known Data Feed Issues & Workarounds guide to see if there is a known issue or outage with your institution. Many institutions are listed under the Specific Institution Issues/Changes section with special instructions or information for getting and staying connected.
- Try again later or the next day and check back to see if the error state changes. Some institutions block our data provider during certain hours of the day to prevent overloading their systems. You can check on whether this might be the cases in the Known Data Feed Issues & Workarounds guide.
- If it's been more than 7 days and it's still in an error state, reach out to us in support using the chat tool in the lower right corner of this page or the Console.
I see an error during the refresh or add account process
If you're trying to refresh your account by re-authenticating (re-entering username and password + security answers/codes) and you're getting errors try the following.
Technical or unexpected site errors
- Check our Known Data Feed Issues & Workarounds guide to see if there is a known issue or outage with your institution. Usually institutions with technical or unexpected site errors will appear on our Institution Outage list OR the Daily High Refresh Failure list.
- Try again a few times over the next few days.
- If after multiple attempts over a 7 day period you still don't have success reach out to our support team (let us know you've already tried over the last week).
Incorrect credentials (username or password) error
While you might think you're typing the correct username and password it never hurts to double check.
- Log in to the institution's website directly with your credentials
- Write down exactly what you used on a piece of paper.
- Manually type (vs copy/paste) in those same credentials to try again through our add accounts screen under Account Summary on the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google.
Note: If you use a password manager, such as LastPass, or credentials stored in your browser, try manually typing in the username and password rather than having the password manager/browser automatically fill in the credentials.
Consider updating your password
Sometimes changing the password directly at the bank site can also help get things working when you try again in Tiller Money.
Request timeout errors
- Log in to the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google
- Click "refresh" (or "Connection > Edit Credentials if you see "error" instead of refresh).
- After entering the 2FA code or MFA answer, and when it gets to the "Gathering data" step, click outside this pop up to close it and to return to the Console.
- After a moment you should see the "refresh/error" button change to "refreshing..." and then eventually "recently refreshed."
My accounts are disconnecting every day
If you have two factor authentication (2FA) turned on, meaning you have to enter a security code or PIN after entering your username and password, those accounts/logins are likely to be disconnected frequently (once per day is common).
The exact disconnect timing varies by institution, but essentially the security code expires after a certain time period and our data provider can't connect without it so you're required to re-authenticate and provide a new security code.
In most cases, contacting our data provider does not resolve these issues. If reconnecting your accounts by providing a new 2FA code to our system allows new data to be pulled into your spreadsheet, then the connection is behaving as expected.
You will need to click "update sheets" in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on to pull data into this account or wait for the next Auto Update to happen. If re-connecting with the new 2FA code does NOT pull in new data for that account (after clicking Update Sheets) reach out to our support team.
Reach out to our team
If you can't get past these errors with the above troubleshooting tips reach out to us via the chat icon in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google and choose "Account Connection Issue" and share the relevant details as prompted by the bot.
Please note: choosing "something else" in the chat triage bot does not speed up your time to resolution or response time from us. It actually slows down your time to resolution and response because we have to go through multiple replies to get the information we need to actually investigate the issue.
Help from our data provider
In some cases above after you reach out to us and we investigate more closely we'll reach out to our data provider, Yodlee about the issue. We do not proceed with this step unless the error is persistent for at least a week and is not related to an institution that has a global outage.