What is a Google Sheets add-on?
Think of add-ons as plugins for your Google Sheets. They allow you to automate workflows and processes, making your work in Google Sheets faster, easier, and more efficient.
What are Tiller's Google Sheets add-ons?
Tiller and Tiller Labs have built three primary add-ons and two helper add-ons for leveraging the power of an automated financial data feed to Google Sheets.
Tiller Money Feeds add-on
The Tiller Money Feeds add-on is the primary mechanism by which we feed financial data into Google Sheets. It's our core product add-on. It's required for all Tiller customers that want to use Google Sheets as of August 26, 2019.
The Tiller Money Feeds add-on allows you to update your Google Sheet with your latest financial transactions and balances directly via the add-on's sidebar. Optionally, you can turn on Auto Update for a daily automatic update to your Google Sheet. You can connect the feed to any Google Sheet or start in our Foundation Template. You are the Google Drive permissions "owner" of the Google Sheet.
The Tiller add-on automates certain financial productivity workflows and offers a few solutions to common financial riddles. You can do the following with the Tiller add-on:
- Install AutoCat - use this tool to help you automatically categorize transactions that match certain criteria based on a ruleset you create. Read more here.
- Install the Tiller Budget - this is the budget with rollovers that help with envelope and zero sum budgeting. As of Aug 26, 2019 this capability falls under Tiller Labs and is supported in the Tiller Community. Read more here.
- Install the Simple Business tools - this includes a dashboard as well as manual transaction and bank statement reconciliation workflows. As of Aug 26, 2019 this capability falls under Tiller Labs and is supported in the Tiller Community. Read more here.
- Install the Estimated Quarterly Tax sheet - this sheet helps simply structured LLCs and Sole Proprietors estimate their quarterly taxes. As of Aug 26, 2019 this capability falls under Tiller Labs and is supported in the Tiller Community. Read more here.
- Generate a Category Rollup report - this report gives you detailed breakdown of your spending and income by group and the associated transaction details for a configurable time period. Also great for building a tax reporting itemized deduction report. As of Aug 26, 2019 this capability falls under Tiller Labs and is supported in the Tiller Community. Read more here.
Tiller Labs add-on
The Tiller Labs add-on offers experimental solutions to common financial riddles like tracking your net worth or building a debt payoff plan. It allows us to deliver these experimental solutions using a modular approach (e.g. you can drop in a net worth tracking sheet into your Foundation template and not need to create a brand new Google Sheet to give it a try). We can iterate on these solutions quickly, and easily push updates. Customers can use the Tiller Labs add-on to restore their sheets to get the latest updates.
Solutions installed via the Tiller Labs add-on are supported by the Tiller Community. You can learn more about the add-on and the included solutions here.
This add-on allows you to split a transaction so you can categorize it based on how the money should be organized. (e.g. you went to Costco and $50 was for gardening supplies, but $300 was for groceries supplies). Read more here.
Size My Sheet
This add-on helps you visualize how close you are to the Google Sheets 5 million cell limit. Read more here.
Why are these add-ons separate?
Our add-on "ecosystem" has evolved as Tiller's product offering has evolved since 2015. There are many pros and cons to building the functionality that spans these add-ons into a single add-on, and the technology that powers these add-ons is still relatively new, so as we learn we refine.
We may consolidate the features of some of our add-ons into some of the others and eliminate some entirely. (e.g. the Transaction splitter may eventually end up as a part of our core product add-on - Tiller Money Feeds).
NOTE: If you're an existing customer that subscribed prior to August 26, 2019 and want to start fresh in a new Google Sheet you can migrate your existing transaction data and categories to the Foundation Template using these steps. You can access our Foundation Template here. You can access the other "templates" that used to be hosted on the Tiller Console via the Tiller add-on or the Tiller Labs add-on. Read more about why we made these changes here. We do not recommend running the Tiller Money Feeds add-on in existing Tiller Feedbot-powered Google Sheets.