Why duplicated accounts happen
Duplicated accounts can appear on the Console when there is an issue with an account that our data provider corrects. After they get the data feed working again for the account a second instance is often brought into your Console.
This will also happen if you remove an Institution's connection entirely on the Console and then re-added it as a troubleshooting step to fix the connection.
How to address duplicated Accounts on the Console
If you're seeing duplicated accounts on the Account Summary in the Console you can just remove the instance that's not actively feeding data to your sheet.
Click the ... next to an account to remove it.
If you're unsure which instance is linked, update the account nicknames (pencil icon under Account Summary) to make sure they're unique and then check your sheet's linked accounts by clicking the sheet name in the Console to expand the account selection area.
How to address duplicated accounts in your sheet
When you link the new, active instance to your sheet you'll likely see a duplicate instance of the Account in your sheet on the Balances sheet because the second instance is assigned a new unique Account ID and thus appears as a new, separate account in your sheet.
To deal with the duplicated accounts in your spreadsheet you'll need to clean up the Balance History sheet.
- Open your Balance History sheet.
2. Select all the data in the sheet and turn on the filter.
3. Sort the sheet by the Account column and then filter the list to only include the duplicated accounts.
4. Find the most recent entry for the account (sort by the Date column if needed).
5. Copy/paste the Account ID (might be a hidden column) for the most recent entry for ALL entries for the account. This will be overwriting the entries associated with the initial instance that was connected with the new, active Account ID being fed by Tiller.
Tip: Hold shift and select the first account ID cell and scroll to the bottom and select the last Account ID cell and then past to quickly paste the Account ID into all relevant cells.
6. Repeat these steps for all duplicated accounts.
Dealing with Duplicate Transactions
If you have duplicated accounts due to removing/re-adding accounts on the Tiller Console, you also likely have about 90 days worth of duplicated Transactions.
You can manually remove the duplicates from the Transactions sheet (hint: use the Date added column out to the far right as a marker for sorting).
You can also use an experimental Tiller Money Labs add-on Manage Duplicates workflow to clean up the duplicates. This feature is supported and documented in the Tiller Money Community and has only been lightly tested. Use at your own risk. If you have questions or run into issues with this feature, reply to the wiki doc for the feature linked above. This feature is only available for Google Sheets.